Transitions





Yesterday was a turning point in Babycakes life: she graduated from her car seat to a booster seat.  If was a turning point in my life, also.  This is the first time in exactly 17.5 years that I don't have a five point restraint child seat in my vehicle.  I am not sure if this makes me happy or sad.  Yes, I have been smiling widely with the thought of not having to climb into the van to buckle her in, but...I don't have to buckle her in. She's my youngest, my last, my baby.  Only she's really not a baby any more and truthfully, hasn't been for sometime now. Yet, that doesn't make this transition for me any easier.  She's quite capable of buckling herself in and that is just one more step away from me.   Yes, this is healthy.  Yes, this is the way it is supposed to be.  But I am not so sure I like it as much as I thought I would.  She doesn't need me as much as she did just two days ago.  This same day, my oldest started college. Technically he's still a senior in high school but he's also a dual enrolled student;  he  not only gets  high school credit but college credit for the class he's taking.  He's moving away from me, too...only he's moving at lightning speed.  In less than a year he'll most likely be away at college...for good.

I know all this is  the way life is supposed to happen.  As a parent, it is my job to try my best to raise healthy, well-adjusted children.  Healthy, well-adjusted children try new things, gain independence, grow up and eventually leave home.  But that always seemed so much in the future.  Now I'm staring the future squarely in the eye and I am a little sad.  My homeschooling journey with my oldest child, the child that caused us to start homeschooling in the first place, is nearing  it's end.  And yet, while this is somewhat  bittersweet, I do have the comfort of knowing that my homeschooling journey with my youngest is just starting.  She still needs me...for a little bit longer.

Comments

  1. Well adjusted kids may grow up and move out but they never really leave. The invisible ties are too strong.
    welcome back - I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts